What TO DO
Nobody wants to think about being involved in an active shooter situation, but recent national tragedies remind us that the risk is real. An active shooter situation can happen at any time in any place. The best way to make sure that you and your loved ones stay safe is to be prepared ahead of time. Taking a few steps now can help to provide safety and offer protection when every second counts.
You can take an active role in your own safety. Always be alert and aware of your surroundings. Look around and identify exits and good locations to hide. If you see something suspicious, say something. According to the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), there are three options to follow during an active shooter situation: Run, Hide and Defend. PakProtect plays an important role in complementing these three actions.
- Getting away from the shooter or shooters is the top priority.
- Have an escape route and plan in mind.
- Leave your things behind and run away.
- Wear your backpack with PakProtect up high on your back with both straps over your shoulders.
- Keep your head down and your hands visible.
- If safe to do so, warn others nearby.
- Call 911 when you are safe.
- Describe each shooter, their locations, and weapons.
- If you can’t get away safely, find a place to hide in an area out of the shooter’s view.
- Lock and block doors, close blinds, turn off the lights and block entry to your hiding place.
- Stay very quiet. Silence your electronic devices and make sure they won’t vibrate.
- Create barriers with desks and/or tables.
- Place your backpack with PakProtect in front of your body, crouching so as to reduce exposure to the potential threat.
- Don’t hide in groups—spread out along walls or hide separately to make it more difficult for the shooter.
- Try to communicate with police silently—for example through text messages or by putting a sign in an exterior window.
- Stay in place until law enforcement gives you the all clear.
- Your last resort when you are in immediate danger is to defend yourself.
- Commit to your actions and act aggressively to stop the shooter.
- Hold your backpack with PakProtect out in front of your body, rushing shooter with your head down.
- Ambushing the shooter together with makeshift weapons such as chairs, fire extinguishers, scissors, and books can distract and disarm the shooter.
- Act with verbal and physical aggression – shout, scream, and throw items at the shooter.